1 Do I really need it?
- Will something else serve the same purpose, possibly something I already own?
- Can I use a different method to accomplish the same task?
- Do I understand the device, or do I have a friend who can explain the advantages or disadvantages?
- Is it well made and made to last?
- Can faults be readily diagnosed?
- Can it be repaired and will spare parts be available?
- Does it have extra features that may be unnecessary, yet add to the number of things that could go wrong?
- Could it atrophy some of my skills?
3 Can I buy it at a discount?
4 Can I borrow it?
5 Can I rent it?
6 Can I lease it?
7 Can I share it?
8 Can we own it as a group?
9 Can I build it myself?
10 Can I buy a kit?
(Extracted from The Green Imperative by Victor Papanek)