Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) is disturbed that a second person has lost her life at a beauty salon in the space of just a few months.
Puan Noraini Ghazali died following a botched liposuction procedure – apparently as a result of an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic that was administered to her.
The Director-General of Health, Tan Sri Dr. Ismail Merican, was quoted saying that investigations revealed that the surgery was carried out by a surgeon.
It is not clear if the anaesthetic administered was a local or general anaesthetic, but surely, there should have been more precautions in place.
The case in October last year apparently also involved a surgeon and resulted in a pointless loss of life. In addition, there have been a number of reports of severe scarring of the face and other serious adverse outcomes following “treatment” at beauty salons.
CAP calls on the Ministry of Health for a thorough review of the procedures carried out at beauty salons, which seem to be getting way beyond the scope of proper expertise. These salons are not licensed as medical clinics or hospitals and there should be a limit to what is permitted to go on at these centres.
Procedures such as liposuction, tummy tucks, eye bag surgery, botox injections, surgical lifts and such; or those involving dangerous chemicals or anaesthesia should strictly not be permitted by the Ministry of Health.
There should not be any more loss of lives or tragedies resulting from visits to beauty salons.
Letter to the Editor, 27 March, 2009