CAP: Papadum dangerously overloaded with Sodium

Papadum, a crispy thin cracker, served with Indian meals is dangerously overloaded with sodium. The Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) calls on the Ministry of Health to set limits for sodium in papadum in view of its high sodium content. It should direct Customs Department to check all imports and the dangerous levels of sodium in papadum. Consuming high amount of sodium …

MALAYSIA’S TOWERING INFERNO SAGA CONTINUES

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) is highly concerned with the lack of regard by the authorities for fire safety in our country.
At 11.50am on 13 February a fire that started during some maintenance work on the EPF building in Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya was able to spread quickly because the cladding on the exterior wall of the building was made from a material that did not comply with specifications.

Shock-ing Toys For Children

Besides the numerous hazardous toys that are on sale in supermarkets, shops and stalls throughout the country, there are novelty items that are capable of giving an electric shock that have made a comeback.

It was spotted in a recent survey by the Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) and we were able to buy “Shock Chewing Gum” at RM6.00 each.

It is designed to look like Wrigley’s chewing gum complete with ingredients. A strip of the ‘chewing gum’ protrudes out for it to be pulled. When someone pulls the ‘chewing gum’, it triggers a switch which sends an electric charge through the arm of the person. This person will feel a sharp electric shock surging through his arm.

LITTLE INDIA IS A POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) wishes to differ from the Malaysian Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Penang (MICCI) president Datuk N. Gobalakrishnan’s opinion and that of the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) on the setting up of temporary canopies in Little India.
It is not only that the haphazard erection of canopies obstruct fire engines and ambulances from entering Little India but the buildings themselves are a fire hazard.