WANT to know the secret to beautiful, healthy eyes? Simple. Have a good diet rich in Vitamin A; avoid strain, glare, dust particles and city fumes; get plenty of sleep; and work only in good light.
But having elegant eyes also mean taking care of problems like strain and dark circles under the eyes — two common problems faced by many people. There are natural remedies and easy exercises to overcome them. So don’t waste your money on questionable cures.
Here are some tips to consider:
Dark circles under eyes
TO GET rid of dark circles under the eyes, you can do any of the following:
- Grate half a cucumber, strain the juice and refrigerate. Dip two pieces of cotton wool into the cool cucumber juice and place over the eyes for about 10 minutes.
Do this at least twice a day. You should lie down and relax, and keep your mind free from worrying thoughts when doing this. Apart from lightening dark rings around your eyes, cucumber juice will also relax your eyes. For quicker effect, combine with lemon juice.
- Soak cotton gauze in cold, black tea and use these as eye pads.
- Crush some mint and apply around the eyes. Rinse off after a few minutes.
How to relieve eye strain
EXERCISE can do wonders to strengthen the muscles of the eye. The following exercises may lessen eye strain:
- Hold your head still and glance quickly to the corners of the room for about 30 seconds. Then, close your eyes for 10 seconds. Blink your eyes to relieve any tension, and repeat the fixational movements. Close your eyes again and count to 10 before opening.
- Look steadily at an object on the wall while you roll your head first in one direction and then the other. Next, close your eyes and roll them in large circles.
Another quickie exercise to relieve eye strain is cupping or palming with the hands. You can do it anytime and anywhere. All you have to do is cup your hands over your eyes for a few minutes. This will bring your eyes soothing relief.