The Impact of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) on You and Your Children’s Health, Livelihood and the Environment.
Malaysia is signing onto the TPPA, which is a United States’-led economic agreement, with 11 other countries. What is your government agreeing to IN YOUR NAME?
a) Health: Deeper, longer and comprehensive pharmaceutical patents, making MEDICINES & MEDICAL TREATMENT MORE EXPENSIVE;
b) Environment: Greater promotion, protection and license for companies to carry out their business with less regulations will lead to even more problems from INCREASED MINING, LOGGING AND FOREST CLEARANCE than Malaysia has already seen today – while RESTRICTING OUR ABILITY TO REGULATE the impact of business operations on Malaysians’ environment
c) Law: Allow foreign companies to IGNORE OUR DOMESTIC LAWS AND COURTS and SUE OUR GOVERNMENT at international arbitration tribunals OUTSIDE of Malaysia for PUBLIC INTEREST actions seen as threatening THEIR bottom line!
d) Agriculture: Open the floodgates to SUBSIDISED FOREIGN RICE and other superficially cheaper agricultural products, thereby endangering Malaysia’s own LOCAL RICE FARMERS and worsening our FOOD SELF-SUFFICIENCY.
e) Competition: Level the playing field and promote uneven competition between LARGE FOREIGN COMPANIES and small Malaysian companies such as SMEs (e.g., hypermarkets vs kedai runcit).
f) Labour: The TPPA may ban the passing of new laws (or strengthening new ones) to give greater protection to workers, from requiring training or recruitment of locals, transfer of know-how, skills and other forms of knowledge and information to domestic firms.
• Fifa Rahman (Malaysian AIDS Council)
• Yasmin Rasyid (EcoKnights)
• Mohd Nizam Mahshar (Majlis Tindakan Ekonomi Melayu)
• Fauwaz Abdul Aziz (Third World Network)
• Sivarajan Arumugam (Jaringan Rakyat Tertindas)
• J Jayasiri (Chief Negotiator for Malaysia at the TPPA)
Venue: YWCA Penang, 8A Jln Masjid Negeri (next to Penang State Mosque)
Date: Saturday, 22 June, 2013
Time: 9:30am – 1.00pm
Download the tentative program here
Read the following statements by CAP to know more about why Malaysians must object to the TPPA:
• CAP lauds Health Minister for statement on Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement
• What’s wrong with the TPPA?
• Open letter from Malaysian NGOs to MITI on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA)
• Proposed TBT Annex in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement
• TPPA – Malaysia MUST withdraw NOW