Rapid Increase of Onion Price

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) is very concerned about the rapid increase in the price of onions sold in Penang markets.

A CAP market survey carried out in Penang shows that the price of onions imported from India has increased to RM9.00 per kg. During the Christmas festival, the price of onions was controlled at RM5.00 per kg and it had increased by almost 100% in about 2 weeks.

Wholesalers claim that the problem started when the supply from India stopped. They also added that from a 10 kg sack of imported onions, only 60% could be sold while the other 40% were damaged and rotten.

CAP calls on FAMA and the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living (KPDNKSH) to carry out an immediate investigation into the exorbitant price hike of onions, whether the increase is justified, and also to check on the quality of the onions.



Mohideen Abdul Kader
Consumers Association of Penang (CAP)

Press Statement, 8 January 2023