No products in the cart.

Category: Safety EN

STOP the sale of decorative lights immediately

With the approaching festive season which ends in February next year, shops and stalls are already flooded with a wide range of decorations. Traditional decorations are apparently being overtaken by decorative lights, most of which are flimsy in construction and may cause electric shock and are fire hazards. They are sold in violation of our existing regulations. Therefore, the Consumers’...
Read More

E-scooters and e-bikes can be ticking time-bombs

It was reported in early September that the Electrical Safety First commissioned the Building Research Establishment (BRE) fire safety research team in the United Kingdom (UK) carried out tests into lithium-ion battery fires to determine the dangers of lithium-ion batteries used in e-scooters and e-bikes. The results showed the explosive nature of lithium-ion batteries resulting in what is...
Read More

Now Germany and Belgium are looking to BAN Apple’s iPhone 12 due to fears radiation could damage people’s health

Germany and Belgium are investigating Apple's iPhone 12 due to radiation levels  The move comes two days after France banned the sale of the smartphone Regulators in Germany and Belgium are set to review potential health risks linked to Apple's iPhone 12, two days after France banned device sales over radiation fears. French watchdogs revealed Tuesday that testing of the smartphone showed...
Read More

CAP: Mandatory Safety Standards for Cooking Gas Cylinders

The Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) calls on the authorities to come out with mandatory safety standards for cooking gas cylinders. The call is made in response to the numerous injuries and deaths that occurred due to explosions caused by cooking gas cylinders. The latest occurred last Sunday night (30th July), when a couple from Johor, was injured in a  cooking gas explosion. Following is...
Read More

When to Toss Common Household Items

SPONGES It doesn’t take long for sponges to become a hotbed of bacteria. They can spread germs to your hands and then to your food. Or if you have a cut on your hand, bacteria can enter your body that way. Even if you boil or microwave your sponges after each use, scientists say it’s best to replace them once a week. PILLOWS Your nightly neck and head prop loses shape and firmness over time....
Read More

‘The Malaysian Connection’ embarrassment

The Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) calls it a national embarrassment to Malaysia when the Australian Federal Police (AFP) intercepted a 336kg shipment of heroin worth RM795 million from Malaysia to Brisbane. The seizure was described as Australia’s “second largest bust on record”. Had the AFP not discovered the shipment, the 336kg would have destroyed the lives of thousands of...
Read More

BUTTON BATTERIES – A DANGER TO CHILDREN

Kids aged 6 months to 3 years are most likely to swallow something they shouldn't. Common offenders: coins, fish bones toys, buttons, earrings, rings, paper clips, game pieces, needles, pins, tacks, toothpicks, screws, and nails. Two things are especially dangerous: button batteries and magnets. Small batteries are a serious danger to children, if swallowed. When one gets stuck in the tube...
Read More

Some ‘nicotine-free’ vapes high in addictive substances, tests reveal

Tests of dozens of vape brands sold in shops across England and Wales show that some high street vapes claiming to be nicotine-free actually contain the same level of addictive substances as full-strength e-cigarettes. Laboratory analysis of 52 products bought in England showed 73% were above the legal e-cigarette tank capacity of 2ml. More than 40% of those tested had been filled with 5ml of...
Read More

TOXIC BICYCLE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR GLUE

The watchdog group EcoWaste Coalition in the Philippines is urging cyclists and bike mechanics to be wary of the health risks when using a glue for repairing punctured inner tubes as it may contain benzene, a carcinogenic (cancer-causing), mutagenic (can cause genetic mutations) and toxic (poisonous) substance. The group issued its latest toxic alert after buying bike repair kits in Manila that...
Read More